Sharon Elise Prager, MA, LCSWR, BCD
Sharon Elise Prager, MA, LCSWR, BCD is a Clinical Social Worker specializing in individual treatments for Trauma (Military and LEO), Domestic Violence and Forensic Evaluations/Interventions, and is the founder & CEO of Calm Seas Psychotherapy which has two locations in NewYork; Mount Sinai & Buffalo. Also Calm Seas is committed to serving our population virtually in many states. Each location and state has a team of therapists with whom training and collaboration takes place on a regular basis. This team continues to educate and engage in therapies for trauma, addictions, violence, and much more.
Sharon is a graduate of John Jay College of Criminal Justice specializing in Traumatology and Victimology, and a graduate of New York University specializing in Military Behavioral Health and Trauma related to the violence of war. With over 16 years experience as a trauma/violence therapist and interventionist, Sharon is currently serving as CEO of the Calm Seas Psychotherapy group practice that works with police officers, military personnel, and their families.
In addition to being a prominent traumatologist, Sharon is a Board Certified Clinical Social Worker and has presented at national/international conferences and to general audiences speaking on various topics including Military Behavioral Health, Trauma, Military Sexual Trauma, and Barriers to Treatment for females in the military.
Sharon has worked in the fields of corrections, probation, and parole, and has served with the NYS Guard 244th medical division as a Clinical Mental Health Supervisor (MOS- 73A) and XO of the unit.
Sharon is an interactive, Socratic solution-focused therapist. Her therapeutic approach is to provide support and practical feedback to help clients effectively address personal life challenges. She integrates complementary methodologies and techniques to offer a highly personalized approach tailored to each client. With compassion and understanding, she works with each individual to help them build on their strengths and attain the personal growth they are committed to accomplishing.
Sharon continues to educate through programs and affiliations with the Trauma Research Foundation and has dedicated herself to teaching others in the field.
Currently not taking new clients, Sharon is researching addictions within the first responder community while pursuing a PhD at Texas Tech University. Sharon continues to head the Calm Seas team while working with TTU in both research and teaching capacity.
How I can help you
- New York University, Master of Social Work
- John Jay College of Criminal Justice, Master in Forensic Psychology
- Widener University, Post Masters, Military Behavioral Health
- Trauma Research Foundation Post Masters in Neuroscience and Trauma
- Certified PET-Prolonged Exposure Therapy
- Certified EMDR-Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing
- CPT- Cognitive Processing Therapy
- Certified Facilitator and trainer for the Duluth Domestic Violence Batterers Intervention Program
Professional Activities and Memberships
- Trauma Research Foundation’s Certification Traumatic Stress
- American Academy of Experts in Traumatic Stress
- Board Certified Diplomate in Clinical Social Work
- American Academy of Forensic Science
- NYS Troopers Surgeons group